July 05, 2012

Yukata for Tanabata

This Saturday, July 7th, is Tanabata! If you are in the Seattle area, the Seattle/Tacoma Kimono Club will be attending the Tanabata festival at the Seattle Japanese Garden. There are details for the event at our blog as well as on Facebook. There will be origami, tanzaku wish writing, dance performances, and tea ceremony. The STKC will be attending the tea ceremony at 3pm, if you would like to join us, you must pre-register for tickets (info in the links).

I think I may wear my new yukata I made. I tried it with the pre-tied obi I made a few months ago, the color looks ok with it. I was going to wear it kimono style, with nagajuban and tabi, but my red geta looked terrible with tabi - and the straps stained my tabi pink when I tried them on, oh no!! I need to wear socks in the tea house for the tea ceremony, so I will probably just bring a pair of socks that are easy to slip on..

right side

left side

I hope I can line up the back seam better next time. I need to figure out something to do with my hair!

Even the front looks split in half because the okumi is the lighter pattern
I am looking forward to Tanabata. I have never attended this festival (same with Bon Odori coming up). And I have never attended a tea ceremony as a guest. I hope I will be able to sit seiza style for the full 40 minutes! It has been a long time since I have sat on my knees for that long. I will post photos after Tanabata! If your local city has a Tanabata festival or Obon festivities, I hope you can attend the summer festivals in yukata (or summer kimono, if you don't like yukata)!

No comments:

Post a Comment